One of the most dreaded things about owning your own home has got to be annual maintenance. When you were a renter, you could depend on your landlord or management company to hire the professionals, foot the bill, and you could go about your business. When you own your home, however, you suddenly have an asset to protect. You want to be an informed homeowner and make the best decisions for your home and family, so where do you start?
Trust the CSIA-Certified Professional
There are many “chimney professionals” without the proper certifications, who promote their services in this industry. Because the chimney industry is largely unregulated, there is not a certification requirement. However, there is a nationally-recognized certification that is the standard of the industry. It is the signature that officials look for on paperwork. Your realtor, lawyer, or insurance provider will look for the signature of a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® (CCS) and here’s why:
- Accreditation – The high educational standards of the Chimney Safety Institute of America is regulated by the Indiana State Workforce Innovation Council, Office of Career and Technical Schools.
- Longevity – CSIA, established in 1983, quickly became the national standard for chimney safety certification and remains so.
- Nonprofit Status – CSIA is a nonprofit organization, and is governed by volunteers and technical experts from across the country, dedicated to put consumer safety first.
- Code of Ethics – All CSIA members adhere to a stringent code of ethics designed to protect homeowners from industry scammers. If a sweep is found to be in violation of this code, they can have their membership revoked.
- Public Safety – Part of CSIA’s mission is to educate the public about chimney safety, and they are committed to eliminating residential fires, carbon monoxide intrusion, and chimney-related hazards that cause property loss and death.
- Continued Education – CSIA certified chimney sweeps must recertify every three years by way of examination or continued education. This helps them stay abreast of industry advancements and standards.
Quality Training, Quality Service
CSIA certified chimney sweeps are the best in the industry and for good reason. You wouldn’t let a high school biology student perform a surgical procedure. You’d want a licensed surgeon–someone who has attended school, had field training, and who is experienced. Your family’s safety is at risk when you choose an amateur to construct or repair your chimney. Even a general contractor is not qualified to build or repair a chimney system. Only a CSIA certified chimney sweep has undergone extensive classroom and field training. West Texas Chimney and Venting Solutions has operated in the area for over 40 years (formerly J & J Chimney Sweep & Repairs), and we know the area’s municipal codes, the West Texas climate, and we have relationships with contractors in the area, and work together with them often to keep our customers safe.
While you are considering your chimney professional, look also at other professional organizations and certifications. A chimney sweep company that adheres to professional standards will offer professional and expert services. We are CSIA-certified, members of the National Chimney Sweep Guild, and even Certified Dryer Exhaust Technicians because we focus as much on quality as we do on safety. The two go hand in hand.
Call West Texas at (806) 358-0817 and ask a chimney expert about our certification and reviews today.